Marijuana and Federal Law – Immigration law is governed by the federal law even though the state approved the use of marijuana, federal law does not make it legal. Therefore if you admit to using marijuana or any other illegal substances prohibited by the federal law, you would be in violation of the immigration law. If you are in the need to complete your immigration application, please call Law offices of Sheena Rude at 818-658-3700